Pau (64) – funicular
Start: may 2010
End: august 2010
Type of vehicle: funicular
Number of vehicles: 2
After 4 months of work the two cars of the funicular of Pau left on August 30 and 31, 2010.
SAFRA Renovation realized :
- Addition of an access door for wheelchair users and people with reduced mobility (children in strollers, elderly people)
- Addition of 2 bicycle parking spaces
- Participation in electrical modifications
- Repair of bodywork and door mechanisms
- Interior and exterior painting.
The funicular, which, after leaving the station, joins the boulevard des Pyrénées and the Place Royale, has in the hearts of the people of Palaiseau the value of a historical monument (even if it does not have the official label). Wanted by the mayor Henri Faisans and inaugurated in 1908, it has long had its opponents, who feared that “an iron frame would stain among the green foliage”. Today, the metal snake glides smoothly, almost noiselessly, over 105 m with a slope of 30%, between the trunks of the palm trees. Free of charge, it carries an average of 500,000 passengers per year.